InukiTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
InukiTV

Lets talk about all the things on the youtubes!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ideas and some thought about Rome 2

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vonPlosc
Pleb
Pleb

Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 Empty
PostSubject: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi,
as a veteran of the Total War series, I know what this game should look like (I'm talking about gameplay). Now to start you have to say that the guys of CA have improved with each game they gave us, but there where still major flaws, which I hope they address in this title.

Singleplayer:
- Dumb AI, they have improved since Rome 1 but when Shogun 2 came out they where bragging about the most advanced AI and then we get one which runs his troops up and down a hill in front of my army. And the strategies of attack... Mad charge or hill camping.
-Diplomacy, I really hope they improve that, give us some more options. Now I don't say it should be something that complex as in EU3, but we need some more options. At least give us the option to give orders to our allies. I cannot stand having an allie, with a big standing army and he doesn't do anything. Just chillin at my capital dude...
-Sieges, it is wiedly known that fortresses didn't have a big standing amry! They always depended on reinforcements. Now this is a general flaw of the gameplay mechanics. Having a fortification meant, there was no need to put a huge army there to secure that area, in case of a siege the fortress would send word to the nearest city and they would send reinforcements to relieve it. Having this in mind they should block the siegers for 2-3 turns till they can attack so reinforcements can arrive.
- Troops, everybody who played this game knows, they cost allot. Upkeeps of armys are THE major expenses. Now in that time period armies wouldn't be standig armies like today, when a conflict was on the rising they would muster troops and march to war. The only standing troops where in cities and at the border. Ingame when you used your troops allot, they get exp. and late in the game you really have great, high exp. armies. But if u run into cash problems and dissolve the units they would be lost and that hurts. Maybe they should put a mechanic where you could put your troops into reserves, where they cost less but lose exp. and you'll have to wait 2 turns till you can use them again.

Multiplayer:
The multiplayer was much better and there is little I have to complain about, but still Very Happy
- Battle length, Shogun 2 had some of the shortes battles, once you engaged it was a matter of a couple minutes till you knew that you skrewed up. I hope you will be able to dissengage once maybe and not be that drained so it's over.
-Veterans, I like the idea, but maybe try giving them buffs which are not that significant.
- Archers, I hope they are not that bad as in Rome and horse archers not that potent.
- Factions, I'd appreciate it if factions in general are more balanced then in Rome, you really had to have allot of skill to beat a roman player if you picked any of the barbarian factions.

There is still one major concern: I do not want to buy the game and then months later buy a DLC, where I can play as that faction. Wtf give us content, not basic things which should have been in the game from the beginning. But my hopes are not very high. We saw it in Shogun 2 and I think they gonna repeat this practice in Rome 2

I hope you'll excuse the wall of text, but when talking about the total war series well I just have to say this things Very Happy
I'd like to hear some opinions and ideas I haven't thought about.
And please consider I'm not bashing the game, this is constructive criticism.
Back to top Go down
Inuki
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 pm

It was a good wall of text for my wake up read!

I never tried shogun 2 but I thought the AI in medieval 2 was decent enough. The main reasons why I stopped playing the game is because of the expensive upkeep and lack of leaders to put my troops in.

What I personally would like to have in the campaign is some more in-depth resource management besides gold. I felt like I couldn't really focus on economy as much as I wanted to. I wanted to control it more rather than wait turn and watch the world go by.

Rome 2 seems to just want to be more cinematic in it's appearance. Which is good as long as it doesn't sacrifice any other features from past total wars. It does need to add more in it's gameplay though. New features and mechanic.
Back to top Go down
Wunel
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 2:56 am

I'm vey pleased to see that they've changed the system for sieges so that defenders now have a reason to actively counterattack, I remember all too well the days of towers firing endless arrows down at me as I marched to the plaza where the defender was waiting and, presumably, laughing in derision as his invisible archers pounded my troops.

The balancing issue with multiplayer Rome factions was that they needed to match the troops available in the campaign and those needed to be historically accurate, as much as possible anyway. Obviously that meant that Dacia would never be able to seriously contend with the Julii or Carthage for example.

I think the developers will have learned from mods like DarthMod and Roma Surrectum/Rome Total Realism which heavily rebalanced the game and tweaked a lot of stats and presumably we'll see better faction balancing overall. You can't really escape reality though, Rome should have access to better troops that Spain simply because that is how things were, as long as there's sufficient faction diversity that is realistically playable online then I'm happy.

With DLC I think it's a dick move when they release stuff like factions, hero units and small stuff I'm fine with. There was quite a lot of negative feedback to CA over their Shogun 2 faction DLC and they mentioned around the time that they were finishing the alpha of Empire that they had considered DLC factions but most of the developers didn't like the idea. Maybe they had some budget concerns or someone saw a way to make a buck and didn't think it through. My money is on no faction DLC for Rome 2 but a very high chance of either unique units or a small campaign extension like the Warpath or Peninsular DLCs for Empire and Napoleon respectively.
Back to top Go down
vonPlosc
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:56 am

Inuki wrote:
It was a good wall of text for my wake up read!

I never tried shogun 2 but I thought the AI in medieval 2 was decent enough. The main reasons why I stopped playing the game is because of the expensive upkeep and lack of leaders to put my troops in.

What I personally would like to have in the campaign is some more in-depth resource management besides gold. I felt like I couldn't really focus on economy as much as I wanted to. I wanted to control it more rather than wait turn and watch the world go by.

Rome 2 seems to just want to be more cinematic in it's appearance. Which is good as long as it doesn't sacrifice any other features from past total wars. It does need to add more in it's gameplay though. New features and mechanic.

That is a good idea.
I didn't think about the ressource problem, but that would ad depth to the game. So you cold have more reasons for taking a territory. Like you need the steel so you could make you swords to have the edge on the battlefield. Or maybe go and conquer Egypt for the food, like the romans really did.

My problem with the AI is, if you put up the difficulty it's not gonna get smarter it's just gonna get more ressource then you. Medieval 2 had as you say a decent AI but it still sent you his army peacemeal. And I imagine it kinda got "overloaded" when you started doing freaky things. At some point in charged his archers into my heavy inf. (We all know how that endet:(.

Maybe I'm asking to much but I'd like it to build an army maybe use it to it's best composition.

As for the upkeep I am able to understand you, I had the same problem with it. Recently I found a site where I got allot of FAQ about Medieval 2 and it's mechanics. I then conquered Europe with the danes and venice on the medium difficulty. I'm very sorry but I cannot recall that site (that's a shame), but if more people would like it i'll write them down.

As for the concern with the balancing. I wouldn't say that about the barbarian Factions. Sure rome had a good standing army, but it is proven that they got their A... whopped allot of times by poor decisions on the battlefield, or before the battle.
I know as a fact that Dacia defeated the romans and got allot of tribute from them. Traian, the roman emperor at that time, only managed to beat them because he paid their allies to turn on them so he halved their manpower.
Now don't get me wrong the romans had the best army but it had a big weakness, as we all know. That was broken terrain.
But what I meant, was the insainly brutal heavy Inf. (Preatorians, 1st Legion), which can be spammed and cannot be beaten by any of the barb troops head on.
I mean common, it's the barbarians, doesn't that ring a bell? They should have at least 1 heavy inf. which should beast Very Happy

I have to say I'm really pleased with this discussion.
Inuki thumbs up, I really like your forum
Back to top Go down
Wunel
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the barbarian factions did on many occasions defeat Roman armies however overwhelmingly Rome conquered them through superior tactics, equipment and logistics. While Rome paid tribute to a lot of barbarian factions that was only partly out of fear, it also had a lot to do with the fact that Rome wanted to expand in other theatres and they had a huge supply of money so they could buy peace on one front in order to conquer another.

I do really like the idea of regional differences being emphasised, Shogun 2 was a small example of the possibilities of that.
Back to top Go down
vonPlosc
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:58 pm

They kinda tried in Shogun with the resources (food supply). I really hope they gona take it farther, so it'll be a choice between conquering that region because of the food surplus there or the other region because of the good metal works there.
Back to top Go down
Inuki
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 8:16 pm

vonPlosc wrote:

That is a good idea.
I didn't think about the ressource problem, but that would ad depth to the game. So you cold have more reasons for taking a territory. Like you need the steel so you could make you swords to have the edge on the battlefield. Or maybe go and conquer Egypt for the food, like the romans really did.

There was a game very much like Total war that did this. The game was linked to Braveheart. So maybe it was called Braveheart. You had to make the spears and swords. Give them to men and take over Scotland. Once you had taken over all of Scotland you could lead the united attack against the British.

---

They could make two modes for balancing. They won't though of course. Historic mode or Balanced mode. Problem solved for online play.

Personally I think historically accurate makes it more exciting. It's like you are playing the general in those battles. Seems a bit more tense. Did anyone ever watch that show that used the rome engine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Commanders

This was a show on BBC 2 in England. A group of contestants would come up and be given a historical battle that they had to fight. They would fight it and after the game the host would tell you how the battle was actually fought. Was a kickass show!

in 2005 Richard Hammond hosted the show!
Back to top Go down
Wunel
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Yeah, they also introduced things like iron for trading only being in certain regions in Shogun 2, and horses for better cav in others etc. I'd really like to see a better use of diplomacy for example greater control over your vassal states and much more cunning enemy diplomacy like they they might try to ally early on with another enemy faction bordering you and then they would fund your opponent to try and give them an edge.

Yeah I've watched a bunch of videos of that show, there's a user who uploaded most of the episodes. The people they got on can't play to save their lives though, hopeless bunch. Their usual conversation is like:
"what should we do? should we move the spearmen over here? what about the cavalry?"

Any pre-Empire Total War player would just go, "hammer and anvil? hammer and anvil"

I had a quick google for "braveheart game" and found a game that looked like what you were describing, apparently we can't post external links for 7 days after joining but it's on gameblitz so just search for that and you should get it in the first couple of results.
Back to top Go down
vonPlosc
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Yeah I know the show, saw some episodes and laughed my a.. of at the mistakes they made. Actually two shows bought the engine. BBC for time comanders and the american History Channel so they could to a show I think it was called something like "epic battles".

As for the MP, I like to play the historicaly correct version too. My only problem with that, was that they gave the barbs no option for a beast heavy inf. in the later periods which could really stand toe to toe with the roman heavy inf. I'm not talking about maneuvering and tactics, just pure melee headon fight.
After all the romans adapted their metallurgy from the celtibiri mastersmiths. It was called Gladius Hispanus.
And they weren't the only ones proeficient in workin metal, the noricii, a germanic tribe from the northern slope of the Alps, and even the dacians were masters in working the metal.
I think balance in terms of unit power (stats), would be historicaly excusable.
Back to top Go down
Wunel
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 10:16 pm

Having faction balance at the cost of partial historical inaccuracy is a good idea, you're right about the barbarians lacking an infantry unit that can go toe-to-toe with Roman legions, although if you get a chance to play Roma Surrectum you'll find that they rebalanced the game very well and factions like Dacia (who I've just recently been playing) can lay waste to a Romany army of roughly equal composition if commanded well.

With vanilla Rome the Chosen Swordsmen were good but not quite enough to defeat a unit of Praetorians and certainly not Urbans and the only units that could really break Rome were so overpowered that the online community developed rules just to stop people using them (berserkers especially).
Back to top Go down
vonPlosc
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 am

I didn't play the Roma surrectum mod, but I had a go at Rome total realism mod and I found they did a really good job there. Really like the new skins on the units. Much more realistic then on vanilla Rome.
I also played the Getae Tribes there (who are the forefathers of the Dacians), as I'm romanian I have quite a national pride, for our forefathers at least, for beating the romans and holding them of for several decades.
So yeah I hope I can play the dacians in Rome 2 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wunel
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 1:05 am

I'm familiar with the Getae, it's quite an impressive history you have there.
Back to top Go down
vonPlosc
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Wunel wrote:
I'm familiar with the Getae, it's quite an impressive history you have there.

It's nice seeing an history enthusiast like my self here cheers
Back to top Go down
Wunel
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm training to be a history/english teacher, going on prac this year so I can officially call myself a teacher.
Back to top Go down
vonPlosc
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Wunel wrote:
I'm training to be a history/english teacher, going on prac this year so I can officially call myself a teacher.

Nice
Back to top Go down
Inuki
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Wunel wrote:

I had a quick google for "braveheart game" and found a game that looked like what you were describing, apparently we can't post external links for 7 days after joining but it's on gameblitz so just search for that and you should get it in the first couple of results.

I looked into fixing this in the admin place. Couldn't find a way to take it off. Really sucks...
Back to top Go down
Wunel
Pleb
Pleb

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:06 am

On the subject of a little admin work, the "calender" link is spelled "calan". I will wait contentedly for the 7 days, it gives me some time to get screenshots and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas and some thought about Rome 2   Ideas and some thought about Rome 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ideas and some thought about Rome 2
Page 1 of 1